If you're in the customer service or consumer products industry, you understand the value of your online presence. 96% of Americans use the internet to shop at least once a year , and worldwide e-commerce sales were 653 billion in 2020. An online presence and a remarkable website are no longer a choice for businesses looking to find new customers and deliver a superior experience. SEO questions for customer service companies This means that ranking in search results and investing in SEO should be the top priority for your business. If customers can't find you online, they probably won't find you at all.
And while cracking the Google code may seem like an impossible undertaking, there are quite a few things you can do right now to get more eyes on your website. To employee data help you understand what these things are, we've analyzed ten consumer services and product companies that rank among the best for SEO based on data from similarweb.com . Read on to find out how these companies leverage website content, keywords, and innovation to rank, and how you can emulate their success.1) Staples Staples Home Page Seeing an office supply company come out on top is surprising.
But a quick look at Staples ' website stats reveals some interesting insights. About 63% of their traffic is organic, mostly from keywords that use their brand name. The remaining 37% are sponsored links, and the second-best performing keyword is “office chair.” It's not hard to imagine that this term may have grown in popularity with the rise of the pandemic and remote working over the past couple of years. So when looking at your organization and what you provide, be sure to consider the local and global context when choosing your paid search terms. What product or service do your customers need the most?